Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Reader Project: JP's 1968 Robin Hood

Before

One of the great and terrible things about the Interwebs is that you get to meet people of like mind who you wouldn't have had a chance to meet otherwise, and then spend a whole lot of time online discussing the finer points of brake levers, chain guards, and fender stays.

After

Flickr user the-macnab has been working on this 1968 Robin Hood (a mid-level brand of Raleigh) for quite a while, and his friend williamhutchinson was also working to restore a Raleigh Sports, all about the same time I was working on the Huffeigh. The three of us exchanged comments, tips, and frustrations as we worked, and engaged in a sort of long-distance race to finish our respective projects. I believe I finished first, but my project was decidedly less ambitious than either of theirs, and I cut a lot of corners (like painting rusted chrome parts silver instead of replacing them). I'll do another post on William's amazing work on his Raleigh, but this long-promised post is all about the J.P.'s Robin Hood, and it is well-deserved.

Check out his full Flickr set on the restoration process.

4 comments:

  1. Did they have those wheel reflectors in 1968?

    The seat stay was especially fascinating to me. It looks like something that Falcon Bikes would have done, as shown here

    John Forester, in "Effective Cycling," has a very good section on modifying & tweaking S-A hubs, if one is into that sort of thing. Sentiment aside, give me a Nexus (sacrilege on this blog, I know).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just last evening while I was riding my bike, the image of a long-ago Christmas morning bubbled up from my memory. I was about 5 and my oldest sister around 12. She received a new Robin Hood bicycle that morning. As the years went by I inherited that Robin Hood bike. How I abused it! Beautiful job the_Mcnab on the restoration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fellow Readers,
    Do take the time to check out the Flickr set of JP's Robin Hood. The photos and the accompanying text are informative and inspiring.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, Ted! In fact I went back through JP's flickr set the other night(I sure wish flickr displayed the text captioning in 'slideshow' mode). He did a super job of documenting his progress- and explaining a few, trying setbacks, too.

    ReplyDelete