Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Out of My Way

On the way home from running some errands this morning, as I approached my turn to go home, I decided that I wanted to keep riding, just for the sheer joy of it. I only went an extra block, but it got me thinking about the difference between riding a bicycle and driving. Whenever I'm driving, I really don't like having to go out of my way, even if it's just a block. As a driver, I've been conditioned (as most have) to expect convenience, and anything that inconveniences me in the car seems like a massive hassle. On a bike, though, a detour just means more time on the bike, and (usually) more fun. When was the last time you decided to drive your car an extra block just for fun?

PS -- One of the errands was to get a different needle for my saddle bag project. Updates on that, and other things, coming soon!

10 comments:

  1. More often that not I take the long way on my old bicycle or just simply turn down a street that dead ends to see what's new down there. I do it just for the ride. I did that while driving recently for the first time in years but it just wasn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...although my dad used to love to take a Sunday drive in the country when we were kids. Simpler times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In some ways those times were simpler, but the Sunday drive of the good ol' days was a lot more complicated than the Sunday stroll or the Sunday bike ride of the even-older days. I'll leave the carriage ride out of it, 'cause hitching a team is certainly not simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've turned into the person I would have never imagined - someone who deliberately seeks inconvenience...for fun! I still can't believe I want to ride up that steep hill every day to work. Or that very often I'll throw in an extra challenge for sheer enjoyment (ride from downtown to uptown in my hardest gear - essentially a single speed - sitting down). All because it is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually do like to ride around in the car (and the bicycle!) just for the hell of it. Sometimes I do take the long way around when coming home by automobile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, I've been known to drive out of my way on the commute home, just for the fun of it. Meandering is meandering.

    But doing it on a bicycle is more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and here I thought I invented meandering. ;-) I will head out to the store to pickup a few things, fully expecting to be back within a half hour or so...5 hours later...

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to do that while driving my car. I'd turn down that unfamiliar street and creep through. But then I'm "that guy." You know - the one that turned onto your street and is driving really slowly ... like, suspiciously slowly to soak in the scenery. "That guy" who rolled into your cul de sac, parked his car, wrote something down ["X St - cool neighborhood with 50s-60s Eichler style homes and a '65 Riviera parked in cul de sac"], then slowly drove away.

    It doesn't seem creepy on a bike.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I first got my car I did this, as well as when I used to live in a very scenic area by the ocean. It got old very quickly though.

    ReplyDelete