Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Making a Saddle Bag, Part II

Boy, I had no idea so many people would be interested in my inept efforts to put a saddle bag together! Things are going slowly, but so far, so good. All I've done since my last post is cut and position the four plastic panels (cut from two cheap three-ring binders) that will form the front, bottom, back, and top of the bag. The sides, with their own plastic panels, will be what actually gives the bag its shape.

In the photo below, I've just pinned the panels into place, but last night I got two panels fully stitched in. I'm using what my wife tells me is a backstitch, which she showed me how to do. I started off pretty slow, but by the end of the evening, I was getting much faster and more confident with my stitches. Once the panels are all sewn in and all the pins are removed, the bag will finally start to take shape as I begin the process of attaching the side panels to the body of the bag.

Previously:

Making a Saddle Bag, Part I

Can I Make My Own Saddle Bag?

7 comments:

  1. I'm really interested to see how you manage through this project. Me and my nine year old daughter are going to learn to sew together. I'm interested in making some bags and panniers. When I asked somebody for advice a while back on heavy duty sewing machines and fabrics I was refered to this site http://www.sailrite.com/

    Check out their forum. Good luck on the bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, yeah, me too! A wonderful project to do with your daughter, and thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps we'll wind up with the "Old Bike Blog Bike Bag Pattern" empire arising. Seriously, this is interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve A, I think you're way more optimistic about this thing than I am! If it actually turns out okay, I'll definitely post a pattern, but that's where the empire stops, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll toss this out as an alternate machine to SailRite walking foot machines. I have good luck with older all-metal household machines (Singer, Brother, Kenmore). Manufactured in the 50s and 60s, these machines are staight-stitch/zig-zag only. They have side-mounted external motors, cast metal bodies (HEAVY!) and metal mechanics inside. Price? $25.00 on the low end up to $75.00+. Get one at a thriftshop, craigslist, sewing repair shop (they often have an entire room of these great machines). Ebay is kinda risky; 1.) the shipping is expensive and not many ebayers pack the machines very well, and 2.) there are many listings that advertise these machines as 'industrial strength', 'heavy duty', and boast ability to sew through multi-layers of leather. This can result in frenzied bidding into the hundreds of dollars for a machine that should be much more economical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's something similar someone else came up with, but with a metric butt ton of math:

    http://eeio.blogspot.com/2004/12/recycled-banner-golden-mean-messenger.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

    ReplyDelete