Saturday, June 20, 2009

Bikes in the House

Remember when you were a kid, and you were so enamored of your bicycle that you wanted to ride it everywhere? And your mother said, "No bikes in the house!" Well, maybe it's the little kid in me who was denied the joy of bringing his bike into the house, but there's something about having a bicycle inside that makes me very happy. I'm lucky enough to have a safe, sheltered place to keep my bikes outside of the house, but I brought the Huffeigh up for a bit of cleaning and adjustment tonight, and I've been enjoying having it in the living room as an objet d'art.

I also take inordinate satisfaction in cleaning, checking, and adjusting all the little bits. Especially with old bikes, which can sometimes be temperamental, it's important to do monthly or weekly safety checks. Because I rebuilt both of these wheels myself, I'm a little paranoid about the wheels, so I check spoke tension and rim trueness, and I'm perennially making adjustments to the brakes. There's something about checking in with the bike, doing all the little maintenance things, that gives me a great deal of satisfaction. It stems, I think, from what motivated me to get into old bikes in the first place: getting to truly know and understand and maintain your own form of transportation. There's something very simple and yet very liberating about that.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Thom,

    I have 4 bikes and a trike in my living room. Would I have done that before my wife went in a nursing home?-----Not likely, but its just me and the dog now and he says he doesn't care.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always seem to have a couple of them inside. I never thought about bringing them in the house until I married the Psycyclist and he informed me that bikes live inside. The spare bedroom of our villa housed all the bikes. I think we had only five back then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my two bikes live inside my house. one on the entry before the steps and one upstairs hanging from the wall alongside my flatmate's. when I was in college and all of us had bikes and people with bikes visit us, we stacked them in the hall, it was a very skinny long hall for a very san francisco tiny skinny long place. no one ever made a big deal about it so im pretty thankful for that.
    I think I'd have tremendous separation anxiety if I didnt see my bikes around :P
    xo/meli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha...bicycles coming indoors and getting comfortable. Do you often find youself outdoors leaning against a wall at odd times of the day? You really need to watch out for that! Stay off the bumpy roads...

    (See "The Third Policeman" if you don't follow my train of thought here...) :c)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our bikes live inside, even though our place is tiny. We now have 4 bicycles, and all of them are housed in my art studio, because it is the only cat-free zone (the cats like to chew the cables).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our tiny apartments have always had our bikes stored inside. And the only time they leave their designated spot in the living room is when little toddlers show up hell bent on tipping everything over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always kept at least my "primary riders" inside,usually 2 or 3. They are beloved members of my immediate family,and they deserve an inside place to rest...I find myself constantly walking thru the "bike room" (aka dining room)thruout the day/night just to look at em as I go.

    Now my wife doesn't agree (with the family,or the indoor part),but she knows if they sleep elsewhere (as in,perminently),then so would I.

    ReplyDelete