Friday, May 1, 2009

Express Mail

Running to the post office is one of my favorite bike errands. For me, it's everything an urban bike errand should be: simple, short, and easy. My local post office is about a half-mile from our house, making for a whopping 1 mile round-trip. I couldn't morally justify driving that distance, anyway, and riding a bike is a whole lot faster (and more fun) than walking. This sort of errand is also perfect for folks who might be a bit reluctant to take their old bikes on longer hauls (although there's no reason not to). If you'd rather go easy on an old bike, short trips like this make up a surprising amount of life's little errands, and an old bike is a perfect way to accomplish them.

5 comments:

  1. Is this the post office on Grim?

    And yay for biking to run errands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the thing about running errands on a bike that most people don't realize is that it often takes far less time than in a car. No worry about parking, slow traffic, etc. Errands within a few miles of home are much faster via bicycle. Cool picture, also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, that's my 'hood! The folks behind the counter here are the gosh-darndest nicest postal employees I've ever encountered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ aj: As I was riding over, I was thinking that same thing. It's so much less stressful to ride than to drive, and probably took me about the same amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those employees are nice. I had to pick up our bike stand at this post office a few months back and the postal employee who was smaller than me in every way offered to carry the stand to my zipcar. I was quite touched and very amused.

    ReplyDelete