Thursday, May 14, 2009

Change Your Life, Read This Blog!

First, I'm way behind on blogging this week. I've got an article manuscript revision due tomorrow that I've been trying to finish, so most of my attention has been on that. I'm also behind on responding to emails, so if you've emailed me this week, I'll get back to you soon.

Second, friends of the OBB, Adrienne Johnson and meligrosa (of Bikes & The City) have teamed up to start a new blog called Change Your Life, Ride a Bike! Their new endeavor will feature reader-submitted stories and photos about how riding a bicycle has changed people's lives. My own submission is here. There's also a Flickr group, which will serve as a photo pool for the blog.

I'm very happy to help promote CYLRAB!  Here's their call for submissions:
We look forward to sharing our stories, and even more, to hearing yours! Please, please, please send us your bike of change and life stories! Why do you ride? Where has riding taken you? How do you tackle the challenges of where you live to keep riding? Did you meet your spouse on a bike? Did you use one to get away after sneaking out of the house at night? Share your adventure with the rest of us.
I know some of my readers have stories to share, so visit Change Your Life, Ride a Bike! and give others the benefit of your experience.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great idea for a blog. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mtn bike to 3-speed, no wonder weight doesn't bother you.

    Got my first 3-speed in 1960 (GEARs!) and recently bought a used (early 70s) Sport for nostalgia reasons. Stripped it down to the bearings but still working on getting the SA where I think it should be.

    Will check out... the largest influence bikes have had in my life is how they have impacted the lifestyle choices of my four sons.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up. I'm subscribed...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Jack/Anonymous: Oh man, do I know what you're saying about getting the hub right. They're pretty hardy once they're dialed in, but I'm learning that it takes some *real* fine-tuning to get to that point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed the article. Your story sounds similar to Mr. Beany's.

    I've ridden really heavy bikes for most of my life. My surly seems like a light weight in comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking for info on fitting new cables to old Ralieghs. Can you point me to info concerning practical parts/cutters/cables/ferules/how they fit/different sizes and styles of brake cables/fittings, and the like? I've decided to Replace Them!

    Only the lead bit (it IS lead, is it not?) on the brake cables in place and assembled seem to be bigger than the lead bits on the end of the replacement cables. Why should that be, and does it make a difference?

    And then that brings us to shifter cables, from the standard Raleigh trigger to the common AW 3 speed hub.

    I need a new one of those as well. So how do you replace a cable without losing the adjuster mechanism?

    I know its not all that technical a subject, but I want to do it cheap, without wasting money, or time, and do it so that the hub still shifts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Tinker: I had the same problem with my Huffeigh. Actually, the problem was "solved" for me by the fact that I simply could not seem to extract the brake cables from the brake levers, they were stuck fast, so I just reused the old cables. I think, however, that you should be able to use a standard replacement brake cable. One possible solution if that lead(?) bit is too small would be a small washer to keep the cable from pulling through it's attachment point in the lever.

    Harris Cyclery (see link in my "Shops" section at right) sells just about every S-A replacement part you're likely to need, including the shifter cable and anchorage to attach to your hub's indicator spindle. See their site under Parts--3 speed parts--Sturmey-Archer. Sheldon Brown also has info at the Harris site about how to replace the cables. It's pretty easy, actually.

    As for cable cutters, I like the Pedro's brand cable cutter, but any good shop probably carries an equally good cutter. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Come on by, everyone. The site is still in its infancy, but it will evolve quickly. Hopefully with contributions from readers that have stories to share! The more we let people know that riding a bike is not just play, and that you can live very happily as a bicycle rider, the sooner we will get more people out of their cars ad onto some nice old bikes ; )

    ReplyDelete