Friday, March 6, 2009

Watching Paint Dry

I'm at the penultimate stage in the Huffeigh work now, which is painting. I'm doing a full sand, prime, paint, and clear coat job on both fenders, the top tube, and the chain stays. The rest is just getting touched up. Shown here are the finished front fender, fork, and chain guard. A few days ago, I did the white portion of the rear fender, and today's task was priming the rest of it and masking off and priming the frame. I'd like to try to get the paint done on both this weekend or early next week. Then clear coat, a few more new parts to get together, and then reassembly.

I have to admit, the painting stage and all of its sub-stages is trying my patience. The end is so close now, I just want to be done! As with all things, however, patience is a virtue.

5 comments:

  1. I think it will be a good-looking bike, though. It's hard to believe there was a time when Huffy didn't mean poor quality throw-away bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I'm excited to see the final product. That's why I hate the painting stage--I just want it to be done! Huffy was already a good brand in the US in the 1950s, and I believe they contracted out a lot of their bikes to other good companies, like Raleigh in this case. I'm not sure why, but it seems like fairly common practice in the 1940s-1960s, at least. I'm hoping that the Huffy brand will help serve as a theft deterrent on this bike. "Hey, that's a nice bike--oh, wait, it's a Huffy, never mind."

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of paint do you use? I have a green huffy ladies' bike and she needs some loving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just using Ace Hardware rattle-can spray paint. I'm using the gloss black with a gray primer coat and then topped off with clear coat. I'm doing six coats of each--base, color, and clear. My first attempt at painting a bike, I used only three coats each, and was disappointed with how delicate the final result was--it chips and nicks very easily. Since then, I've had better luck with more coats of everything. Ultimately, doing it yourself with hardware store spray paint, no matter how many coats, is obviously not as desirable as professional painting, but much more affordable. It really depends on the result you're going for.

    ReplyDelete