Thursday, March 5, 2009

Reader Project: Mark's 1960 Phillips Manhattan

Back in the snowy throes of winter (which I suppose is still going on for many of you), Mark sent me a photo of his eBay find, a 1960 Phillips Manhattan. I got busy with finishing my dissertation, and Mark's email got slowly shuffled to the bottom of my inbox. So, finally, here it is. Says Mark:
I confess I found it on eBay. While my goal is to be thrifty it had no bidders but me--I think because the seller did not mention the words Sturmey-Archer, Raleigh, or dynohub--and only one poorish photo--so I couldn't resist. I was intrigued by the Manhattan from an OldRoads.com post. I just made a post there with an interesting bit of Phillips to Raleigh transition history I ran across. As for what I am going to do with it, well I haven't even ridden one of these yet so I will minimally lube it, ride it a bit and then take it apart for a full job. I don't think I will repaint it, the 2-tone job and decals under the grime are neato, hope I will be lucky and have a working dynohub and lights from the get-go.
Best of luck to Mark, and I hope we'll see some after photos with a lovely spring-time backdrop.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks Thom--wow, those full chaincases can be tricky to get off,
    the cotters came out fine, the chain's quite rusty but seems to have emerged fine from 2 soakings in kerosene, then a wire brush

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ MarcosLagoSalado: Can you say more about your struggles with the chaincase? I've never been lucky(?) enough to have to deal with one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chaincase: well just my ignorance of them i guess...expected that after the removeable tailpiece i would be able to separate the chaicase in 2 halves...but no, it's one piece and the chainside cranks had to come off but didn't want to without persuasion.....then, finding the chain masterlink was trickky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, one piece, huh? I wouldn't have guessed. So you removed it by sliding it forward?

    ReplyDelete