Sunday, January 25, 2009

Reader Project: Amy's 1960s J.C. Higgins

Amy's husband found this bicycle in the trash and rescued it, and now Amy is refurbishing it, hopefully in time for spring. This is my favorite kind of Reader Project, because Amy is doing the work with no previous experience working on bicycles. The backwards fork/fender was like that when it was found--makes me wonder if the previous owner junked it because it "just didn't ride right!" I've been getting updates periodically from Amy as she goes, so I'm hoping I'll be able to share a lovely after picture of the finished bike (maybe sometime around April, Amy?).

All you J.C. Higgins aficionados, can you tell based on the pictures what model/year this is? Based on some online research, Amy guesses it's a "Flightliner," can anyone confirm? I've included a few more photos than usual in the hopes that someone can provide some info.

7 comments:

  1. Is there a serial number on the bottom bracket? That would probably help with dating the bicycle.

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oohh yes there are. There is a 502 on the left side of the bracket and on the right side of the bracket is 45360 544801. Does that help at all?

    Thanks!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best (though not actually very good) information I could find on answers.yahoo.com:

    JC Higgins was built by Elgin pre WW2, then by Huffy (Huffman Bicycle Company) afterwards. Unfortunately, there is no real rhyme or reason to the serial numbers as a year identifier, so you'll have to go by pictures and components.

    Primarily, look for brand names or markings on any parts. There MIGHT be a date stamped on the rear hub shell (or perhaps on the coaster brake arm) as well which may approximate the date.


    *******************************

    The more popular bikes (Schwinn for example) have serial date charts on-line, but I haven't found one for Higgins.

    Good luck!
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like it was made in the 1940's. That is a pretty old bike if it is

    ReplyDelete
  5. definitely a flightliner. i have a women's with the owner's packet, and the model numbers for the 1960-61 line started with 502

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks exactly like the bike I had growing up. It was my 2nd bike. I believe I got it for Christmas in 1962 or '63.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I re did a JC Higgins bike that has a beehive front end and is a skip tooth. On the bottom of the crank area has the num, 9 7453, MOD 502 231, MOS M. How old to you think this bike is? Thanks, Alan.

    ReplyDelete