Sunday, December 28, 2008

Reader Project(s): Steve's 1967 Schwinn Breeze and 1960s(?) B.F. Goodrich Bicycles

Here's a trifecta of lovely Schwinn-made bicycles from OBB reader Steve (regular readers of the comments on this blog will perhaps recognize Steve as "SS:Mtn Biker").

The first is a straight-forward, brand-name 1967 Schwinn ladies' single-speed with coaster brake. There is no model identification, but I'm guessing from frame style, chain ring, and chrome fenders that this is a "Breeze." Corrections from people better-versed in Schwinn anatomy are happily accepted.

The second and third bikes are undated his and hers Schwinn-made B.F. Goodrich bicycles, which were sold in that company's tire stores. Both have single-speed coaster hubs.
 
Apparently, prior to the 1950s, Schwinn branded their bicycles under different names to cater to big chain stores, but then dropped the practice, except in B.F. Goodrich stores. Other than that, there's not a lot of information that I could find on the Interwebs about these bikes, so dating is hard, but I'm taking a wild guess (based mainly on frame style, decals and motifs, etc.) and saying maybe 1960s. If anyone has better information, please pass it along.
I love the clean, simple lines of all three bikes, due in large part to the lack of brake levers, cables, and calipers. I know they fell out of fashion for a few decades, but coaster brakes are coming back, baby! And I, for one, think they're pretty neat. Some might disagree.

8 comments:

  1. Ah...it appears my opinion of the coaster brake is clearly a matter of public record!

    The notion of back-pedaling to stop a bicycle is the very work of Beelzebub! :c)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like them, but find stopping in traffic very awkward. The foot I automatically put down is the one holding the brake. If I put the other foot down, I am not in a good position to take-off. I end-up looking goofy, switching feet while stopped. Plus, I had a chain come off one time, definitely horrifying.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is a late response, but neither of the two lower bicycles is a schwinn.

    The blue girl's bike is very obviously a Murray. Unfortunately I cannot get a good enough view of the men's bike to say. But it's defintiely not a schwinn, the lack of electroforged joints, and a fork crown unlike anything Schwinn ever used in their history, shows it is clearly not a schwinn product.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another tip off that those other two are not Schwinn made is the BMA stickers on the seat tubes. Schwinn was not a member of the BMA, though Huffy, Murray, Rollfast, Ross, and Columbia were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe the top one is a 1975 "Hollywood". I have one and have been researching it for a few hours.

    found in an old garage and relocating. Trying to figure out what to do with it.

    paininthetuchesatgmaildotcom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am attempting to restore a B.F. Goodrich tagged bicycle that my father bought used to ride to work during WWII and I unsuccessfully tried to destroy in the 1950's. It is similar to the bike in the middle image but it appears to have a one piece forged front fork. If there are weld marks I have yet to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same Schwinn the green one and it's a schwinn breeze

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a male version of the green Schwinn. It looks just like the one in the photo only it's a three speed. It's called a Speedster and it's from 1972. I don't know if they made a lady's version of the Speedster, but like I said, it looks just like mine. LR

    ReplyDelete