Monday, August 11, 2008

Reader Project: Pete's Schwinn Suburban

I'm happy to say that Pete found my blog while looking for a fender fix for his new old 1970s Schwinn Suburban. He found my post about DIY fender arm extensions useful, and shared some photos with me.  He's got many more at his blog, The Bicycle Commuter Trials, and a description of what he'll be doing with the bike. I've excerpted some of his description:

Recently my wife found a ladies bike being thrown away that was in fairly decent condition. All it needed was a good wash and a quick tune and it was on the road again. We also purchased a baby trailer so we could all go riding together...I wanted another bike made for cruising and having been inspired by cleaning up my wife's bike that she found. I wanted a true junker, something old & classic that needed some tender loving care.  A quick look on Craigslist and I found this 1970's Schwinn Suburban...[S]he needs some work & is in rough shape. The bike is non-rideable at the moment. On the way home I stopped by a Schwinn dealer and picked up a new front brake, all new cables, some missing nuts & bolts, and new tires & tubes. I also stopped by Autozone for some grease, steel wool, & some degreaser. I plan on breaking her all the way down, cleaning off the rust, & greasing her down. Then of course, building her back up with some fresh lube.

Happy grease-monkeying, Pete, and thanks for sharing!

9 comments:

  1. Hi, I have the womens' version of this bike, right down to the color! My friend got her from a pawnshop for something like 10 bucks. A lot of the lettering is scratched off the frame, so I never knew exactly what kind of bike she was, other than a Schwinn. Her name is Clarabelle, and even though she's currently sitting in my living room with 2 flats, I love her dearly. So thank you for giving me some context regarding her model and age. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the exact blue schwinn suburban with blue fenders pictured. I wiped out a few years ago and I need a new front wheel. Any suggestions?
    harryneff37@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anonymous: eBay is probably your best bet. Check the size and make sure you're getting the same. Schwinn rims can be hard to fit, from what I know of them, so you'll want to try to find exactly the same size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi: Can you provide a tire size for this bike? I have a similar one but the tire size is no longer visible on the tire.

    thanks,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Schwinn Suburban bikes used a 27 x 1-1/4 inch tire (and rim, of course). Any wheel/tire of that size will fit and work well, but only the Schwinn brand will match the appearance of bike and the other wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I have the exact same Schwinn Suburban down to the blue color from 1980, love it! My shifter cable recently pulled out from the barrel that was holding it in place. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem??? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Blog! Well most of your content and image is original and informative. /many thanks for sharing this, cheers.

    Tradesman Trailer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello. I recently purchased what I thought was a 1960's Schwinn Stingray but it turns out that I had bought a 1970's Schwinn Suburban with Stingray handle bars and a banana seat on it. I was disappointed but it is still a cool looking classic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the exact same bicycle that is shown above, the Suburban my Dad bought new either in 1969 or 1970 except mine is red. It was briefly used when new and then hung up in the garage ever since. I don't ride it either and would like to sell it. What do you think it is worth. Still has original tires and in really good condition.

    ReplyDelete