Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Perry Coaster Brake Hub

In response to my query a few days ago, a kind reader (rb, of A Balanced View) has helped me identify my rear hub as a Perry & Co. coaster hub (i.e. back-pedaling brake).  Apparently, the big arm (the brake actuator) coming off the left side of the hub and clamped to the frame should have been my first clue (you learn something new every day).  Here's a diagram of the hub, with all the bits identified.  I'm thrilled that I have a coaster brake--I haven't had one since I was a wee lad.

4 comments:

  1. When I was about ten years old, my brothers and I used to build our bikes from old parts we found in the weekly curbside trash. And of course we raced our franken-stingrays down the hill not from my house. I remember wondering about that big metal arm. I figured I could remove it to make my bike lighter and hence go faster.... the race went great, until the last moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Great story! And they finally found you two counties over, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hai, im Salim from malaysia, I have a new old stock perry coaster brake hub.I got from old bicycle shop. This bicycle shop operate their business since 1915. How to know the year of this brake hub production? T.q.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Salim, I don't know of any way to date a Perry hub. I couldn't find any serial number or other markings on mine, but someone who knows Perry hubs VERY well might be able to tell the age by subtle differences in the manufacture. Anyone?

    Sorry I can't be of more help, Salim, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete