Thursday, August 7, 2008

I'm a Trend-Setter, I Guess



BICYCLE lovers, thrifty as well as trend conscious, are pulling neglected 10-speeds from storage and readying them for the road again. (Let the environmentally aware bragging rights begin.) These bicycles, made in the 1970s and 80s, used 27-inch wheels, which have been replaced with the smaller 700c wheels by road bike manufacturers. But a recent surge in sales of 27-inch tires suggests that the lowly steeds of yore are gaining new life as commuter bikes and weekend cruisers.

My 1970s Peugeot has 27-inch wheels. Whoopee, I'm cool. I don't look nearly as hip as these people, though.

3 comments:

  1. Wear dark colors and don't smile in pictures. VoilĂ , you're cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bike has 27" wheels and I still smile. Oh well - I guess I'm not as cool as I thought.

    What did old 10-speed riders carry as a bike bag? What did they keep in it? I know that Raleighs used to ship with a matching bag. Did those bags have standard contents, or were they empty?

    I'm interested in bike bags, and I'm hoping you'll share some thoughts on them. Here's the invitation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and can I just add a comment about the phrase "lowly steeds of yore?" I'll show you "lowly steeds of yore....(wanders off muttering and smacking his fist into the palm of his other hand).

    ReplyDelete