Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Runwell: Day 5

As you can see from the photo above, disassembly continues.  As I go, I'm still doing major surface cleaning, focusing most on the rust.  No dramatic results to report so far, just plugging away at it and applying liberal doses of elbow grease, although you can start to see a difference on the handlebars.  

After checking prices on new Brooks saddles, and confirming my inability to buy one just now, I've decided to have a go at resurrecting the original.  The left photo shows the before condition, the one below shows how it looks after liberal doses of saddle soap and neatsfoot oil, more of which will be forthcoming.  It's actually not looking too bad, although its age and general decrepitude are still obvious.  It should be serviceable, however.
 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Thom, I actually found your blog a few days ago. I've been following your progress on the Runwell. I've got an old Triumph that needs some similar attention and I wasn't real sure how to get started. I'm going to pick up some steel wool and oil.

    Myles

    P.S. I'm going to add your blog to my list.

    ReplyDelete