Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Runwell: Day 4

There's not much to report for today. I spent most of my time trying to get the #?@$& stuck left pedal off. Didn't happen. I guess I'm going to have to take it to a shop, which is okay, because I think I also want to have them pull the crank cotters, since I hear that can be a real pain.  A big part of DIY work is knowing when to concede. 

I did pull the rear wheel off today, and also got started on some of the rust on various surfaces, including the cranks and handlebars. I'm starting to get a little daunted at all the rust. I think everything is sound underneath, it's just a matter of getting all the rust off in the first place. I've got some more photos up at Flickr, too.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting...the Runwell's handlebars only show the lever and bearings for the front brake rod but your earlier picture of the frame clearly shows the hole through the downtube for mounting the bellcrank for the rear brake rods. Hmmmm. Incidentally, I saw something somewhere that suggested Runwell had their factory in Wolverhampton. 'Fraid I can't provide a reliable reference...

    Just bought a new toy myself...a jet black 1992 Raleigh Chiltern - less work and she's gonna be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I noticed that, too. It doesn't look like the bike ever had a rear brake set up, though. Maybe it was a generic frame style, and customers could special order front and/or rear brakes? I'm not sure how I feel about only a front set of brakes, but I don't intend to be doing a lot of fast riding, after all.

    ReplyDelete